9 Outstanding Time Management Strategies For Bookkeepers
A career in bookkeeping can keep you busy, but if you follow these nine time management strategies, you’ll stay on top of your full day. RELATED: How To Become A Bookkeeper At Home In this article:
- Time Management Strategies to Become an Effective Bookkeeper
- Time Management Techniques for Busy Bookkeepers
Key Time Management Strategies You Need to Implement
Time Management Strategies to Become an Effective BookkeeperIn this digital era where almost everyone is prone to distraction, time management isn’t just about getting through your to-do list as fast as you can. We now have more resources and means to get more things done anytime, anywhere. Effective time management means finding ways to maximize your share of time each day. It’s about working smart and getting the most important tasks done. To become an effective bookkeeper and owner of a virtual bookkeeping business, follow these time management best practices:
1. Give Your Full Attention to the Single Most Important TaskBefore you start your day, check out your calendar and use a to-do list to consider all the things you’d like to get done. The list can get overwhelming, so just pick the most important task you need to do and focus your full attention on it. Don’t let interruptions get in your way because they’re the real killers. One simple way you can minimize distractions is to set a specific time each day to attend to your emails and calls. Avoiding interruptions is easier said than done, and it’s one of the toughest time management practices to master. If you manage to avoid distractions and interruptions, you’ll accomplish three things:
- You’ll get the most important (but not necessarily the most urgent) task done. Take note that attending to emergencies is a different thing.
- You’ll finish your task much faster than you would’ve if you let yourself become distracted or tried to multi-task.
- Your productivity increases.
2. Automate Your Manual ProcessesOld habits die hard, but if they’re keeping you from getting the most out of your day, it’s time to let them go. Take an inventory of your manual bookkeeping tasks and processes and start automating them. Bookkeeping software can become effective time management tools once you master them. Here are key bookkeeping and business processes you can automate to increase your daily productivity:
- Invoicing — QuickBooks allows you to automatically generate invoices as well as email and print them.
- Payroll — Intuit’s payroll software makes the payroll process easier by automating it. They calculate taxes and generate paychecks for you, plus you can integrate your QuickBooks accounts.
- Inventory — Manual inventory, though necessary, is also tedious. Make the task easier by utilizing an inventory management software like Fishbowl which can also be integrated with your QuickBooks accounts.
- Accounting — Instead of using QuickBooks® Desktop, opt for QuickBooks Online. This allows you to directly access your clients’ accounts anytime, anywhere.
- Project Management — Working with a team is much easier if you make use of project management tools. Collaborative apps like Workflowy and Basecamp can help your whole team manage their work and time better.
- Email Marketing — If email marketing is your style, make sure you do it in the easiest and most effective way. Use tools like MailChimp and Constant Contact to send your messages to the right people.