The Top 3 Marketing Strategies For 2020
Service professionals, like bookkeepers, need to learn the top marketing strategies to keep their businesses growing and thriving. Today’s article shares three important marketing strategies bookkeepers can use to grow their practice this 2020. RELATED: How To Get Bookkeeping Clients Using LinkedIn: 3 Easy Steps [Infographic] In this article:
- The Relationship Building Approach
- Free Digital Inbound Marketing
- Paid Digital Inbound Marketing
- The Secret Sauce of Top Marketing Strategies: Excellent Copywriting
Top Marketing Strategies for Bookkeepers in 2020
1. The Relationship Building ApproachEven with all of the latest technology these days, building relationships is still a basic strategy used for marketing. This is especially true for relatively smaller accounting firms and freelance bookkeepers for whom relationship-building marketing strategies still work best. The relationship-building approach to marketing one’s bookkeeping services include:
- Referrals from friends, colleagues, and customers (both current and previous ones)
- Attending forums, seminars, and workshops to rub elbows with potential clients
- Joining business networking groups like BNI (Business Network International) to meet prospective new clients
Relationship Building = Trust BuildingWhat makes this a very effective marketing strategy after all these years, decades, or even centuries? One word: trust. Online shopping involves low risk and impersonal transactions. Most of the time, customers don’t need to divulge sensitive information to online sellers, which is why it’s easier to convince people to purchase things online. It’s not the same with bookkeeping services, though. For bookkeepers to properly serve clients, they need to access all their financial records.
Why Trust Is Essential in Growing a Bookkeeping BusinessCustomers don’t easily trust anyone with their personal or business financial information. At the very least, trusted friends, colleagues, or family members must refer or vouch for a new bookkeeper. Traditional marketing approaches to promoting one’s bookkeeping services, like the ones enumerated above, provide a semblance of legitimacy for new prospects. These provide them with a reasonable basis to believe that a new bookkeeper is trustworthy and capable. The bookkeeping industry, especially for small and medium-scale enterprises, is a personal business. You can’t expect to get a new client without some kind of personal link or social proof. The old school marketing approach provides bookkeepers and other similar freelancers with such links and proofs.
2. Free Digital Inbound MarketingTo make the most out of available prospecting opportunities, you must learn new ways of marketing a product, service, or business. Digital inbound marketing is one of the newer marketing strategies that’s gaining traction this year. The main advantage of digital inbound marketing is scalability. This means reaching out to 10 prospective new clients can take just the same effort as reaching out to 10,000 ones. Compare it to the relationship-building approach, which isn’t scalable.
- A person can only reach a fixed number of new prospects at a time by attending events and workshops or joining a networking group.
- By using digital inbound marketing, someone can reach more prospects through the Internet.
How Free Digital Inbound Marketing Can Help You Serve Your Niche BetterOne important aspect of this strategy is identifying and serving the right niche or segment of an industry. For example, the bookkeeping industry has a myriad number of sub-markets or niches, such as small proprietorships, medium-sized partnerships, and large-capitalization corporations. Choosing a specific niche to serve and focusing the marketing strategy on that niche’s needs and wants is crucial. One of the most common ways to fulfill these is through free, high-quality digital content, such as:
- Access to training videos
3. Paid Digital Inbound MarketingThe difference between this and the previous marketing strategy is paid advertising. As cliché as it sounds, entrepreneurs sometimes need to spend money to make more money. Some people shun paid digital marketing or advertising thinking, why spend for something that can be done for free? Well, there are good reasons why many prefer to use paid digital advertising together with free digital marketing.
- Free digital marketing can take a long time to have traction and reach a significant number of prospects, while the paid version can do those instantly.
- Businesses and individuals can enjoy the benefit of more accurate target marketing — their promotions will reach their specific target audiences based on key demographics.
The Secret Sauce of Top Marketing Strategies: Excellent Copywriting
What is copywriting? Copywriting is the practice of writing text for promotional materials. These materials are used in advertisements and other publicity generating materials, such as press statements.Copywriting is often confused with content marketing, which is the practice of creating content assets like blogs, videos, and e-books. Both of these are essential, and they work. Now, you don’t have to spend a lot to have good marketing copy and content assets on your website. Here are some tips to help you write copy that can help convert prospects into customers:
- Enumerate the product or service’s key features and benefits. Use plain language instead of difficult industry jargon.
- Identify the target market or the niche’s specific problem or pain points.
- Think about how the products/services key features and benefits can address the target niche’s problems or pain points.
- When writing social media or blog posts, focus on explaining how the target market can address their problem points and pains using the product/service.